Declaration of faith
To whom shall we go?
You have the words of eternal life,
and we have believed and have come to know
that You are the Holy One of God.
Praise to You, Lord Jesus Christ,
King of endless glory.
(from the Northumbria daily office)
If I didn't love the Vineyard so much I'd be an Anglican in a heartbeat I'm sure. Hearing Alastair from Christ Church the other day talk about holy week (the week before Easter starting with Palm Sunday) coming up in April reminded me of that again.To whom shall we go?
You have the words of eternal life,
and we have believed and have come to know
that You are the Holy One of God.
Praise to You, Lord Jesus Christ,
King of endless glory.
(from the Northumbria daily office)
Some people run from tradition, growing up with too much ritual which can turn in to rules and legalism. So they walk in to places like the Vineyard and can breathe. Others like me who have grown up knowing very little liturgy beyond a guy on guitar leading songs, waiting for the Holy Spirit, and trying to everything with a no hype attitude.
So, when I went away to university and walked in to an Anglican church in Chicago... I felt like I'd discovered the greatest thing ever. You mean there are prayers that Christians have been reading for hundreds of years at the same time each day? There's a church calendar? The color fabrics on the tables and walls actually mean something? The day after fat Tuesday is actually a quite meaningful day?
Every year around this time, as much of the Church around the world looks toward Easter, taking 40 days to "go in to the dessert" and align themselves in a purposeful way with Jesus as he over 2000 years ago, prepared to go and die..... I too attempt to think purposefully in this direction. However, I have a very hard time doing any alone so I've been enjoying a few resources as well as doing some things in community.
Here are the things I've been enjoying doing regularly this month:
• CTBI: Churches in Britain and Ireland came together to put together a series of studies, readings, and reflections for Lent. Julia got me hooked on this. Each year it's a different theme. It's supported by bbc which makes it extra cool to me.
• Northumbria Community : Lovely prayers/poetry/readings in a daily office kind of format by a new Celtic monastic community called Northumbria in Britain.
• Reading Sex God, by Rob Bell.
I lack so much rhythm in my life despite my crave for it... these are baby steps towards finding a bit more.
Canticle
Christ, as a light
illumine and guide me.
Christ, as a shield
overshadow me.
Christ under me;
Christ over me;
Christ beside me
on my left and my right.
This day be within and without me,
lowly and meek, yet all-powerful.
Be in the heart of each to whom I speak;
in the mouth of each who speaks unto me.
This day be within and without me,
lowly and meek, yet all-powerful.
Christ as a light;
Christ as a shield;
Christ beside me
on my left and my right.
(from the Northumbria daily office)
Christ, as a light
illumine and guide me.
Christ, as a shield
overshadow me.
Christ under me;
Christ over me;
Christ beside me
on my left and my right.
This day be within and without me,
lowly and meek, yet all-powerful.
Be in the heart of each to whom I speak;
in the mouth of each who speaks unto me.
This day be within and without me,
lowly and meek, yet all-powerful.
Christ as a light;
Christ as a shield;
Christ beside me
on my left and my right.
(from the Northumbria daily office)
3 comments:
hey brooke, a was listening to this band the other day and it made me think of you. They are called ascend the hill. They have this amazing album of hymns that might be one of my favorite things. anyway here is the link if you want to check it out...you can download their ablum for free http://www.comeandlive.com/CLD/AscendTheHillhymns/index.html
thanks laurie! i'll definately get it...
Hi Brooke. I just stumbled across your blog and really resonate with this post. I invite you to visit my website where my daily reflections through Lent may resonate with you too. Blessings from Amstelveen.
Post a Comment