Thursday, October 29, 2009



I need to find some hobbies. Bad. A list of interesting slightly unusual hobbies so that the next time I get asked the "what are your hobbies?" over a beer or tea I'll have some backup. I mean come on, I thought I had things I like to do in my free time... but they just don't seem to fit inside the framework of "hobbies." That word is just intimidating. It sounds lame to say I like studying languages, museums, comic strip reading, riding public transport in big cities, wrapping presents, skyping. How do those stand up to yoga classes, cooking, oil painting, and a bit of squash at the gym?

People love knowing what you enjoy doing in your free time in Holland. You put your hobbies on you cv, you talk about them in an interview, you share them with your neighbors. Last night I was asked again... and my answer: "ummmm, watch movies.... ummm go to museums.... hmmm make art (that was a lie= don't really make time for that anymore).... " so at a certain point she had pity on me and helped me out, "do you like to go out? dance? do you play an instrument, do you sport?... "

I need to get myself some hobbies. Allie found a pilates class nearby... that sounds legit. I'll try that... or maybe there's skydiving in Holland? I wouldn't be surprised in the least.

3 comments:

Eric said...

What about photography? Isn't that one of your hobbies? There's a whole scene out there for "amateur" photographers...

I know what you mean about the Dutch hobbies thing, though. Here's to finding yours!

Sarah said...

Yeah, your photo's are wonderful.... you could try knitting, cause it's portable and you can do it while chatting/watching something. Hope wherever your quest takes you that it goes well for you!

bc said...

thank you for the reminder eric.. yes photography is definitely a hobby!! and it's funny you mention knitting sarah because I love that too... and I actually have been planning to go look for yarn!