Tuesday, November 3, 2009

I am from

My sister either came up with this idea or found it somewhere.. don't quiet remember but it's too sweet not to share with the world. It's a fun poetry exercise she did with her first grade students (it can be for any age!) entitled, "I am from."


Here's the idea:
1. Write down sensory memories from childhood/life.
smell, touch, sight, hearing, taste
2. Think about sayings you heard often/ lyrics from songs, like...
"don't let the bed bugs bite"
"safely in his bosom gather"
3. Think about things you smelled, food, mom's perfume, or the feeling of a family blanket
4. Write the senses down, don't explain them, but be detailed. Don't just say, "I am from dad saying " I love you more than the stars" say instead "I am from "I love you more than the stars."
5. Put "I am from" before your memories. List some together.

Here is the one I'm currently working on. It's in process. If you write your own, please write and share it with me! I'd love to read it! You could even have your whole family write one one evening.


"I am from"

I am from dress up, homemade theatre and slippery tile floors.

I am from road trips with zween zween and junkers.

I am from Sam and Pam and Henrietta bedtime stories.

I am from strict French school and kisses on cheeks.

I am from head coverings and cigarettes.

I am from elbow wrinkles and “Swallows and Amazons.”

I am from Pirate’s Cove and fake aunts and uncles.

I am from grandpa and grandma blueberry and God stories.

I am from math with dad, surprise checks in the mail, and free cars.

I am from “we’re moving” and goodbye and hello.

I am from bookworm and "rules are made to be broken."

I am from olives, tangerines, and cream cheese cookies.

I am from mom's sisters and skinny dipping.

I am from trips to Michigan and berry picking.

I am from Saturday morning pancakes and “stand up and walk.”

6 comments:

rachel joy baransi said...

that's wonderful brooke.

Allie said...

This is brilliant!! Your poem is beautiful. And now I want one too.

Jenny said...

Brooke, I love this!! And love your particular poem, such a wide range of experiences as I would expect :) I'm going to repost this exercise on my blog. I did one, too:

I am from...

I am from honeysuckle in the alley and racing bikes around the block

I am from shepherd’s pie, Grandma’s goulash, porch swings and pumpkin flesh

I am from “we built this city on rock and roll”

I am from twilight and catching lightning bugs

I am from back seat fights, two square, four square, tetherball

I am from late night drives to the 7-Eleven, a pop and a candy of choice

I am from church frankincense, myrrh and spikenard

I am from “everything is important, nothing is important”

I am from loud yelling about homework… not at me though

I am from Dad singing songs from the 50s and 60s, La Bamba, you can always go downtown

I am from the prairie, the sunrise, the big sky, the sunset.

tara arcade. said...

this is brilliant, brooke! loved reading it. loved it. MORE please. and thank you.

Pilgrim said...

This is a meme that circled the internet a couple years ago. I think it was based on a famous poem. It's always good, no mattter who writes it.

bc said...

Thanks for the comments all! I wanted to add that this poetry exercise was inspired by George Ella Lyon... and to me, via my sister!