Today is Ash Wednesday. Wow, it came fast. I usually feel like this day marks sort of beginning to spring, or at least the thinking about spring. Yet for me the fridgid cold, kissing snow, and frozen canals keep my mind elsewhere. I really appreciate Ash Wednesday and I am experiencing a small case of homesickness today as I think about friends and family heading off to special services at home. I miss the smudgy ash on my forehead and the "Remember you are dust and to dust you will return" spoken over me. And remembering that without Jesus I would not stand and looking forward to His death and resurrection.
I do still have some palm branches from last year, I should go burn them up and ash away but I'm too tired and sore from moving friends yesterday and it sounds like a lot of work so I will just sit here on my couch and try to take some deep breaths and not let this special day go before I've had a minute to think. Click here for a lovely article on Ash Wednesday and the beginning of Lent if you are interested.
I'm also still considering Lent, if and what I will give up. Oh and that reminds me that Allie mentioned that some years instead of giving something up, she adds something to her life that does not come naturally to her (ie giving some money to every person begging, writing encouraging notes to a different friend every day, helping at a homeless shelter, and on and on). I like that idea even though it will be just as difficult, adding something that doesn't come naturally, as refraining from something I adore.
Floating Around
14 years ago
1 comments:
Brooke . . .i looked across the aisle tonight at the ash Wednesday service and saw your folks and Eva and for a split second i thought i saw you there. . . but you were . . i love this writing . . you have it in your heart. and I love that you high lighted the lenten reading. I love how you share your heart so well and how you see beauty in everything. You are a blessing and you are missed but you are so taking advantage of every opportunity. . loved the story of speaking dutch in the hair salon. You are a message carrier with the greatest message to share. Blessings for this season ~ shirley baransi ( ps don't remember my password)
Post a Comment