Friday, April 9, 2010

I've been applying to graduate programs here in Amsterdam. Is there something I can study now that would help me do something later that I would love? So, I decided to check out some graduate programs. I could go part time, meet new people, learn, be inspired, etc. Lovely Holland may even be willing to give me a grant or a portion of the fee to attend. Questions arise. English speaking? Dutch? Combo? I found out that I can follow a dutch taught masters in Art History or Comparative Art and still write my papers in English. Now that may just be the winning duo. As these thoughts have been on my mind, my friend Kelly came to visit and I tried to host her well in the midst of sending off applications, begging professors who I haven't seen in 7 years to write me recommendations. We had a lovely time despite the turmoil. I mean, it's finally sunny... how can you go wrong?

I did discover a way to give digital photos the essence of a Polaroid photo. Now that was a good find... except that it makes me slightly sad now that I rarely use my real Polaroid land camera, with photos that pop out on real paper which you have to really shake, no longer seems that novel. Oh the joys and heartache of technology.

Tonight I'm heading to Den Haag to celebrate Adrienne's birthday! What a completely utter joy it is having her and her husband Nic so close. When I am with them I realize what a gift it is to be with people you have history with, people with whom you can sit and say nothing or say lots and laugh about things that happened 10 years ago. Now, I no longer have many friends who I've known that long. Only a few.

This is a bit of a rambling post. But that explains my brain of late. I had a dream last night about my friends Tara and Jimmy's wedding. She was wearing a red and pink empire style dress, he was in a cream suit, I was sitting cross legged on the floor with my friends Brian and Lorah. Brian was holding Lily Zappin (a baby of a friend, who I have yet to meet in person), while the person sitting behind me was giving me an amazing shoulder massage. Oh the life!

Happy weekend!



"fake Polaroid"



"real" Polaroid

2 comments:

tmac said...

brooke! what application are you using to make the "fake" Polaroid? It's amazing to see the two side by side!

bc said...

it's an app called "shakeitphoto" tanya. i'm an addict.