Tuesday, November 23, 2010

funny funnies

The days and hours go too fast. I feel these days like my life is whizzing by me and I'm trying desperately to stop and smell the roses. There are small things in life that give me delight and they often involve children, ritual, food, and memories. I received all 4 this afternoon.

I went over to Amanda's to bake pies with my grandma's special pie recipe. I think it's from her, I can't remember. But the secret ingredient is vinegar (I can't keep secrets). We baked and talked and I cried and we talked and Grayson played. Halfway through Gloria, Connor, and Lucas arrive with their parents, hungry for an after school snack. So, we make funny funnies! We hardly ever had dessert in my family, but when we did it was usually pie. And when you make a pie there are always extra dough bits left. And when you use my grandma's crust recipe it's too good to not use every bit! Thus, funny funnies came in to being! We drank tea and ate funny funnies and played Yatzee Jr. and reminisced and laughed. A good day.


Recipe for "funny funnies":

• Take all the extra crust bits and mash them in one ball. Roll it out.
• Sprinkle on sugar and cinnamon generously then roll it up into a log.
• Cut little slices along the top of the log about 2 inches apart (don't cut all the way to the table).
• Curve it a bit into a wreath shape and then shove in the oven on a pan next to your baking pie.

These will get done before your pie does ... so you have something to snack on as you wait!


0 comments: