Saturday, November 27, 2010

street art

I've been on a bit of a street art kick of late, wishing deep down that I had created the art movement which is now ironically entering in to the mainstream creative world. Street artists could be crudely identified as graffiti artists who have something to say, who's wall art communicates more than scribbles on the side of a train or metro car.

I spent a chunk of my adolescent years in Orange County, California where at that point graffiti was only an eye sore, sprayed haphazardly over freeway overpasses. Then I met Connor, a cool 12 year old who thought graffiti was pretty awesome and who liked to write in the style. Also, in Amsterdam there's a guy who goes by the name of Laser 3.14 and he writes statements and questions on buildings or temporary structures which are under construction. His prose has a prophetic lyrical quality to it. Nearly every day I cycle by one of his "paintings". A couple years ago I visited London and discovered "Banksy", a street art "painter" who has a narrative quality to his work. I am fascinated by the idea of an artist choosing to be a "voice" for one particular city. Amsterdam has Laser 3.14, London has Banksy (though he now makes art all over the world), Paris has Space Invader, and on and on.

Setting the question of illegal vandalizing of buildings aside, the art these men and perhaps women produce is truly interesting and their way of choosing surfaces in order to purposefully decrease the lifespan of their art. Laser 3.14's "art" is often gone after a few months when the construction material is removed. Banksy recently created a documentary on street art, called "Exit Through the Gift Shop." It's a well made film, inviting the viewer behind the curtain to glimpse a bit of the mysterious life of the street artist. I also recently bought this book, "Concrete Messages" for my parents who went to Israel for a few weeks and were struck by the constant presence of the large wall which divides the Palestinian neighborhoods from those of the Israeli people. The book has beautiful photographs of art created by street artists from around the world to give a voice to the Palestinian people.



In close, my brother and his wife Tanya recently discovered a "Space Invader" (the artist is based in Paris I believe) a couple blocks from my house when they visited last. How cool is that? Here's proof (my brother with the invader). So, as you walk or drive around your cities and suburbs keep your eyes open, you never know when you'll see a glimpse of this controversial art medium.

0 comments: