Tuesday, August 26, 2008

1 week

It's official! I've been here a week! Love it! Today was an adventure... I spent some great time with the Lord (that was an answer to prayer, yay) and then I got on my bike and headed off, looking for some new cultural experiences.. since that's what I need to be doing lately, right?! Merge in to the city, grow to love it, explore, experience etc... 


My explorations began with a 1 hr+ hunt for a silly phone cover and then  some saddle bags for my bike (you can see them in the picture). Everything takes longer here and I'm just having to relax and be okay with that. It's kinda nice though, it makes you slow down and breathe. Even Skype tells you to "Take a Breath" while it opens up! It's funny. So, that's the theme of the week, whenever I try to speed up and get things done fast and furious, God just slows me down! Part of that has been a gift from the kids.. it's been beautiful. This morning Gloria came up to me and said, "I love you" and kissed me smack on the lips and then asked me to read her a book. I think she was buttering me up! Of course I read her the book... "The Giving Tree" by Shell Silverstein (which by the way, I cry every time I read it.. it's kinda like the story of the prodigal son).

I also got very lost today and it was lovely! I started to bike west and I just rode and rode until I was thoroughly lost. Before I knew it I felt like I was back in Morocco. I was hearing Arabic more than Dutch. It felt sweet, like a bit of my home. And I stopped a couple times and got some great fresh cheap produce.  Every time I get groceries I'm making myself go to the little cheese guy, the little bread guy, the fruit guy... instead of the big grocery store Albert Heins (the Kroger of Amsterdam). After a while I found a road I recognized and made it home! It was a great adventure. I'd actually put that on my to do list, "have an adventure." Check! I'll let you know what happens tomorrow!

0 comments: