Friday, February 20, 2009

in search of dust


www.cooperburgess.com

"Remember you are dust and to dust you will return" is the refrain repeated over and over again by priest, vicars, pastors, lay leaders all over the world as they draw an ash cross on the foreheads of their congregations this coming wednesday. Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of the 40 day period, Lent, which which leads up to Easter. Lent is used by many as a time of contemplation, fasting from something (chocolate, coffee, myspace), and remembering the human need for Jesus. 

Three years ago I began attending an Ash Wednesday service. It was a very meaningful time for me. A somber time of repentance and recognition that I am nothing, only dust. Yet it is such a joyful day as well since we are forced to acknowledge that the only person who in fact gives life, fulfilling purposeful focused life is Jesus. And my earthiness is not a hindrance at all, He loves me and calls me to acts of justice, love, and compassion as a human. And I must remember that it is Him who created me and made me out of dust! Out of dust!

Yesterday I went on a search for ash. Typically ash for the service is made from burning the palm branches from the previous year's Palm Sunday, but I can't really imagine people doing that. Fire codes and all :) 

But I had a plan, I'd cycle up to Westerkerk and ask where they get their ash. I walked around the whole church, finding only locked doors before I was able to decipher the sign which indicated I should ring a bell. I finally make it in where the secretary, a sweet old man asked if he could help me. I explained in my faltering nederlands my search for ash and asked if he could direct me where to find some. He folded his hands, tilting his head slightly and kindly said "wij zijn een protestantse kerk," meaning, we are a protestant church. Now you have to understand that I'm just a Vineyard kid who is new to the traditional church calendar and who does and doesn't observe Ash Wednesday. I'm only a few years in to enjoying these old traditions, what the rest of the Christian World has been doing for a long time! I laughed trying to imply, "oh yes, of course, what could I have been thinking," and after receiving some very whirl wind directions to 3 catholic churches, made my way out, chuckling at myself. I continued on with my hunt, to St. Nicolas kerk, a church by Spui (I forget the name now), and two more before failing as well at a christian bookstore. 

I'm starting to wish I stuck some palm branches in my suitcase last August. I think I'm going to resort to burning some paper or wood or coals. Any ideas? Anyone up for a bonfire? 

1 comments:

rachel joy baransi said...

heck yes.
we could have it in the fire pit right outside of that beautiful barn/restaurant we were at last week! i'm sure they'd be up for that.

haha my 'word verication' word is :
moopie

so silly :)