I grew up in a house that was always a little messy, lived in, informal, and hospitable... and because of those things it was an easy place to be, relax, and invite others in to.
Cold yet sunny today, I was told by a friend "you're being so dutch" as I stood on my balcony and stretched to clean the windows lining my kitchen. It feels so good to have things ordered and clean sometimes. You can often see little ladies leaning out on sunny days to wipe the rain smears away of the glass. My friend Julia will sometimes straighten the her house and then sit in her living room and soak in the "order." And I know exactly what she means. A good book and a cup of tea in a pretty glass and one of my new honey cookies is perfect company to the white chair by the big clean window.
Maybe it's that sometimes with life being so delightfully full of life.. of talking, children, laughter, biking, tasks, good conversations, streets sounds, tram riding, grammatically incorrect dutch, going back to school at 27, being stretched, thinking, trying 100's of new things, conversations home, and making food to survive that sometimes it's wonderful to putz around the kitchen and just clean and not think about anything too important, only basking in the glow of living a life of purpose, being daily dependent and forced often to give up my crispy clean windows and step in to the unexpected next.
More stories coming in my update this month friends.
Floating Around
14 years ago
1 comments:
Hi Brooke! I love your mom's house! I used to be a neat and orderly, but now I'm going for the Dottie vibe! Whatever I love goes on the walls and shelves and we have books in every corner! I am still waiting for a swing in my living room. The ms has limited my ability to do heavy construction! I loved going to your house each week. There was always a new piece of artwork or maybe new paint on the walls. It is always warm and inviting and fun! Sheri Watson
Post a Comment