Thursday, March 26, 2009

tongue tied


on a sunny day: marieke, allie, and i


In an effort to practice this delightful, complex, frustrating new language I'm learning, I've been seeking out any way to jump off the scary cliff of communication. Monday nights I attend a near by art class. I'm one of about 12 students. They're all real live blond blue eyed dutch kids. It's been a great way to practice! I'm learning a whole new dictionary of vocabulary, concerning the body, art, paint, colors, backgrounds and foregrounds, etc! Who knows what I'll use that for in the future!

I've also been able to hang out with new friends who are sweet and understanding and willing to be patient and converse in dutch over lunch. Communication is so exhilarating but it almost always requires a cat nap afterwards. It wipes me out. I've also learned that I have to feel comfortable and enjoy the person I'm talking to, otherwise it's a train wreck and I can barely ask for a cup of tea. For example, last Sunday I tried to talk to a girl at church and just stumbled over my words, digging myself deeper and deeper into a hole. Feeling like an idiot I switched weakly to english.

However, on the way home, I rode with a dear family in our small group. The 40 minute car ride home was dominated by dutch (with an english word slipped in here or there). We discussed everything from the situation in Israel, to their vacation plans, art, small group, and on and on. I was so encouraged but also aware that in addition to a positive environment, it's also mostly Jesus!

Last Friday I went to a lovely foundation about 5 minutes from my house. Every Friday they are open from 11-3 as a space where anyone can come for lunch, coffee, a hot shower, clean clothes, even a pedicure! I went along with an old family friend, thinking it would be a great place to speak dutch! .... and man, was it ever! We arrived at 10 and for the next 6 hours my brain and mouth were racing to keep up! Between serving coffee, making sandwiches, and picking up dirty dishes I was able to talk to delightful people with facinating stories who were either homeless, jobless, or just retired, lonely, and in need of a place to spend the day. There were about 200 guests, many who spoke Russian, Arabic, Spanish, French and about 20 volunteers. I especially enjoyed the hilarious grandpa aged men in the kitchen who made the delicious soup and spare ribs. They were always telling jokes and in general having a lovely time (I only caught maybe a 1/3 of the jokes!) It was a good day. Best dutch class ever! I will definately be back.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's the way to do it, Brooke! Glad to hear that your language acquisition is going so well...