Saturday, April 11, 2009

today was a good friday

Just got home from our little Good Friday service. It was lovely. The Larsen's provided a wonderful location and it felt so warm and inviting. Coming off of a breathtaking 70 degree day the windows and doors were thrown open , tea lights lit, and couches pushed back. We had a great group of friends, neighbors, classmates... all of us at different points in our journey of faith. We did worship, read some Bible passages (Psalm 22 and Luke 22), and then had a short reflection on what GF means and how we each can enter in with the message. Finally, at what seemed like the perfect time, we had wine and snacks as we hung out and talked (it had also begun to rain/thunder so we had nice background music).

The simplicity of the night was really profound for me. Every song, every scripture, the few 10 minutes worth of words that Eric spoke, were all chosen carefully and precisely to tell the story of Jesus. As we seek to express Jesus/faith/Bible/spirituality in ways that are clear and understandable to not just Christians, I find that I myself am understanding more in the process, that my faith is more clearly defined, that my vocabulary for describing my experiences is more down to earth, and that at the end of the day I walk away having met with Jesus. Maybe not in the way I was used to in the past, or that is maybe my most natural or comfortable mode of operation but in a way that leaves me with the whisperings of God in my ear as I bike home.

0 comments: