Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I wish I were a bike repair man




On the way back from class, I stopped at the Nashes house to hang, have a snack, kiss little Gray and check in. The temp has dropped by 10 degrees I think.. I'm bad at guessing temps. .. but I am definitely wearing my winter'ish coat now. My bike wheel has also started to wobble. Great timing. I've made it a couple week by just kicking the wheel back in place (I'm becoming so dutch, aren't you proud!) but I think I'll need to take it in tomorrow. I'm becoming good friends with the bike shop owner across the street. Thank God it's close! 


Today in class, I was so proud of us! The teacher gave us #s and randomly Eric, M, and I were in a group together. I'm sure the teacher sighed, thinking.. how did that happen? We tend to talk a little too much English :) Anyway we're doing way better... and spoke only in dutch for the next 45 minutes or so. We had to practice interviewing each other. And wow.. I'm so proud! Eric is doing great. His vocab is way better than mine.. I'm still throwing in french words when I get stuck. I gotta stop that.. and M did great too! She has a good accent knowing hebrew.. lots of ggrrhhhh sounds.. It was a good day! I can't believe our first quarter of dutch is almost over. Wow, that went supper fast.

This weekend was fun. Saturday night we played a rousing game of Settlers of Catan.. Lots of fun! I even tried a gluten-free-strawberry-shortcake-made-up-in my-head-recipe on them. I always try GF recipes out on not GF eaters to know if it's good or not. And it passed the test! Sunday we visited a church here in town and it was really great. It's so refreshing to just worship God with others. After church Allie and I went to a little town outside A'dam a bit with our new friend T and has a blast! She took us to this great little very touristy area where you can experience old dutch things (clogs, cheese, windmills, candy)! I've posted some pictures! Then she taught us how to make this amazing Indonesian egg dish. Yum. It was a really sweet time to be in a home and enjoy her family and her. We're hanging out tomorrow too. I love new friends that you can't stop seeing because you enjoy them so much! Tomorrow we also have small group. I'm looking forward to it... always a fun, interesting, cross cultural, worshipful time!


2 comments:

Mandy said...

I think this picture of Allie is amazing.

Jenny Meyer said...

I agree with Mandy. :) so glad you are enjoying new friends, but we still miss you here! love you!!