1. When I get tired/sick and I am trying to speak dutch, only french comes out... and then I react by laughing hysterically and then bursting in to tears. Yea, that happened twice today. Oh well.. such is my life lately, emotional roller coaster!
2. Its very rude to be late to class. Even a minute. Teachers here mean business.
3. People enjoy knowing what your hobbies are. Even dutch politicians have their hobbies listed on their websites.
4. Children's books are so good here! Amazing illustrations. I have a stack sitting on my coffee table right now, they sure help with the language!
5. When you enter a home, you walk around the room and greet each person before settling down into one conversation.
6. Folks seem to eat very little but when they do, lots of brootjes and koekjes (bread and cookies).
7. You do not bike, you cycle.
8. I really enjoy the people I spend 16 hours/week with. Today we talked about work and I learned that there is a doctor, lawyer, 3 teachers, a mechanic, psychologist, and translator to name just a few, all in my class. They're delightful. Especially when it's Friday and we've all had a long week... everything is really funny, we laugh a lot, and can't seem to pronounce words very well.
9. The sunsets and sunrises after a stormy few days are fabulous.
10. The Vondelpark bike path is very empty on rainy days, maybe I should get a clue and take the tram/bus/metro as well. I'll try to wait till the really gross cold winter weather starts
11. It hailed yesterday. I escaped the onslaught by hiding under a highway overpass on my way home from class with a friend.
12. Gloria reads so well to Grayson as Lucas looks on.
1 comments:
your blog made me miss you :). so i just went to give you a ring but discovered that my little book with everything important in it is still lost at ikea so i don't have your number since eric has the mobile. sorry to hear you cried today. it's probably good: will wash out the toxins from the cold and i really do think that after a couple of months we all deserve a bit of a cry (even though it's been great). anyway... see you tomorrow i imagine. let's try to plan a girl's cooking night with sara & tiffany & her moroccan friend for sometime in november. it sounds so lovely to hang out with our new friends in a kitchen......
Post a Comment