I woke up this morning to clouds and rain. Lovely. I was a baby and just couldn't do the biking in the rain thing so I took the tram. Me and half the city. No one wanted to cycling today I think. Hmm... I definitely had a few bouts of claustrophobia on tram #5 today. I made it just in time for class though. We had an exam today (listening and reading). I met up with the Nashes at the Bijlmer Arena stop on the metro, just outside the main part of the city. The got a stroller and rain gear. I also bit the bullet and bought a poncho to add to ever expanding rain gear collection. Yea, it's as amazing as it sounds! (I really can't believe I'm 27 years old and wearing a poncho to school while riding a bike with saddlebags :) Yea, that's me!
Tonight Allie and I explored our neighborhood a bit more. Love walking at night.. you get to see in everyones homes. Very fun! We even went in to the neighborhood community center. Fyi, you can take belly dancing, country line dancing, digital photography, and a power point class all from the little community center on our street! We finished up with a drink at one of the little cafes. It was a nice night.
Friday was amazing... Allie and I hosted Julia's birthday party/reason to invite everyone we've met in all our classes so far, over. I made appel taart.. which my new friend Paula taught me how to make.. it's very dutch. And everyone came. Probably about 50 people showed up. Crazy. It's only been 3 months! Lots of people were crammed in to our apartment. Great conversations, laughing, speaking different languages (Greek, Arabic, German, Italian, and of course dutch and English). I was in my element! Especially when I would head out of the house at random times to retrieve friends who'd gotten lost on their way. Quite exhilarating for some reason. I even cycled all the way to the Rijks Museum to lead a friend back in her car! I was cracking up the whole way back. We flopped in bed around 2 am, very happy.
My bike is also officially back in commission. 70 euro later.. ugh. A couple of the spokes had broken which had bent the wheel and was the cause of the wobbling. I feel nice and secure again. No need to worry about me anymore! And since this post has somehow started and ended with bikes, I'll give you another glimpse of what's to come... oh man:

2 comments:
Hi Brookie! So good to hear that your bike is up & working again and that you are welcoming others in to parties, leading them in on your bike...you make us proud my friend! :)
I would totally have been with you on the tram, but your story actually made me think of Traut. I was leaving the church the other day and rode the elevator down with him (and his bike) and when we exited it was pouring down rain. like buckets. i offered to take him home, but he just tightened his slicker, put the hood up & off he went on the bike. He's so Euro! But me...I'm all about the tram in the rain!
love & miss you lots!
Carrie
Brooke,
So lovely to read about you. I am there in my heart. You are on my bathroom mirror. Cheering for you.
Ponchos and bikes - sounds Northwest!
xo evy
Post a Comment