Since I've received so many comments and questions about the nativity set (doesn't Lucas' sheep rock!), I thought I'd let you in on the fun so you too can create one with your family/friends. First I must give all the credit to my mother who's brilliant and would always succeed in making each Christmas full of special surprises. My brother, sister and I created our first nativity set at her direction. And she would always make the most amazing wise men! They usually had awesome turbans and caftans on while holding an ornate treasure box.
1. Use Sculpey clay (you can buy it at Michaels, JoAnnes or craft store. Buy a variety of colors and with a knife cut each block into 4-6 smaller pieces so that no one has to fight for colors. Each kid/adult can have a little bit of each color. If there's still the chance for fighting then put a bit of each color in a zip lock bag and each kid has their color palette ready to go (you can tell how I was when it came to sharing clay!). For more info on this amazing clay, check out sculpey.com
2. Begin with Alumnium foil and scrunch it together into the shape you're creating. Form a head, neck, shoulders... and basic body. Then you can smooth out thin flat pieces of clay and attach it over the aluminum foil. This helps it bake quicker in the end and also saves clay.
3. Let creativity reign! You're nativity set can be set in your family's cultural/racial context or in the context of the Bible. Have fun! Let each person really do what they want. As you can see our nativity was very different... Joseph is mexican and Mary is a gypsy, one of the wise men is a woman, on and on. Also, feel free to put out toothpicks and things to poke and add details with.
4. When you're done, pop the pieces in the oven on a cookie sheet for 15-20 minutes at 275 degrees F or 130 degrees C. Let them cool for a few minutes and ta da.. you have your hand made one of a kind nativity set!
Enjoy! We had a great time sitting around and talking/laughing making a lovely mess together.
p.s. my beautiful book is up and running (things I happen upon in daily life/art/creativity)... feel free to stop over and check out the beauty!
bcbeautifulbook.blogspot.com
1 comments:
some people have it and some people don't.
YOU definitely have it!!
the creativity just doesn't stop flowing out of you, my friend.
i admire you.
Post a Comment