Tuesday, September 2, 2008

home sweet home



Yesterday was a low point for me. It's hard living out of suitcases and not feeling settled, and feeling confused about why the apartment stuff was taking so long. Carol J. sent this psalm to me. It hit me square between the eyes and was exactly what I needed to hear. 

God, the one and only--I'll wait as long as he says. Everything I hope for comes from him, so why not? He's solid rock under my feet, breathing room for my soul, an impregnalbe castle: I'm set for life. My help and glory are in God--granite-strength-and-safe-harbor-God--So trust him absolutely, people; lay your lives on the line for him. God is a safe place to be. Ps 62 (the Message)

Some of today's highlights:

1)  I had some great time praying with Eric, Julia, and Allie in the am. It felt amazing to re-focus and worship God, remembering that He is our solid rock and the one leading us as we enter in to this new city and love new people and seek his wisdom as we plan and dream and join what He's doing here.
2) Gigi (the Pickerill's youngest) and I went looking for an adventure in the afternoon while Eric and Julia had some chill time. We had so much fun, got sandwiches and ate them under a tree by a canal. It started pouring (and I hadn't brought rain coats) so we hopped from tree shelter to tree shelter and then ducked into The Flamigo, a cute little pub for some tea. It was a great afternoon which finished with this amazing pic of Gigi buying her mom flowers!
3) Our broker finally called back! Praise God! ... and (drum roll please!!) we have an apartment!! Hurray!! hurray! hip hip hurray!! We'll get our keys and move in Friday! It's in the Jordaan neighborhood. Really great! 2 bedrooms, perfect for Allie and I. I'm going to go measure some things tomorrow and head to Ikea to get some furniture. The address is:
                Elandsgracht 97 3H
                1016 TS
                Amsterdam
              the Netherlands
4) I'm going to start language school on Thursday, I think. It's a great program held at the Free University. It runs for 9 weeks, 4 days/week, 4 hours/day with usually 16 hours of work to do at home on your own. It's pretty intense.. ahh! They have 4 levels. So if we find it to be really good we'll just keep going. I'm so excited to start! Eric and I will do this session and then Julia will follow. 
5) Amanda and John, my team mates who are still in Ohio arrive in less than a month! I can't wait to have them here! It feels like a huge chunk of me is still in Ohio! I can't wait! and then Bernie and Roxi will follow a few months later in January! Please pray for all of them!

So, those are the highlights! It was a fun day finding out about lots of things! 


2 comments:

Jenny Meyer said...

PTL-that is awesomeness! Can't wait till you ladies get settled. & love how Gigi is wearing the scarf PL gave you. :)
hugs!

RB said...

Brooke - Great to get the update. From the weather forecasts I have seen on Amsterdam, you really need to find a permanent rain garment to fit in your pocket :-) Great news on the apartment and starting language class, nothing like jumping right in!

As to the address - Is that all we need to send mail to you? Is there a country designation as well? Anything else to include?

Blessings,

Ralph & Melba